Subject: Re: LHSA - old and new
From: "Roger Beamon" <beamon@primenet.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 18:36:25 -700

Thus spake Alex Hurst on 22 Feb 97:

> Hi Guys.
>
> I'm at a slight disadvantage in this debate because my copy of
> Viewfinder only arrived yesterday.
>
> >From the looks of it, it had swum the Atlantic to Ireland because I
> >had to
> prise most of the stuck-together pages apart. I've heard of offset
> printing, but this is ridiculous.

Let the editor know about the poor condition of your copy. The blame
is obviously on the postal handlers, but LHSA should package it
better to allow for such handling, albeit at a price.

> As far as I can make out, there was a coup d'etat at LHSA in Tucson
> in the shape of a President and VP elected from the floor against
> the wishes of the nominating committee. This seems to indicate a lot
> of unhappiness amongst the rank-and-file membership on the previous
> direction of LHSA. Can someone fill me in on the details?

I'm new also, and at this stage of the game am not knowledgable
enough to explain the ins and outs of that floor fight. Your
assumption is correct, however.

> The two most interesting things that I gleaned (apart from what I
> could read of the articles) were:
>
> 1) There's a German Leica association called:
>
> Leica Historica

Yep, and an analogous group in the U.K. and maybe more with which I'm
unfamiliar.

Yes, you can reach Randy Hooper at that email address to let him know
of your receipt of VIEWFINDER in poor condition. Interesting though,
that I subscribe to PHOTON magazine out of Scotland. It has arrived
in good condition for the 6 issues that I have received so far. Only
wrapped in a thin brown envelope.
- --
Roger Beamon
       Naturalist & Photographer