Subject: Re: Mr Erwin Puts
From: "Don Bledsoe" <dbledsoe@micron.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 00:30:28 -0700

> From: Paul T. Collura <pcollura@epix.net>

> I couldn't agree with you more. Thank you for your fine treatise on the
state of the Viewfinder and the evolving dichotomy between collectors
,users<<

I recently joined the Leica Historical Society of America.  In doing so I
also sent for the last 3 years issues of the Viewfinder, which I have been
reading for a few weeks now.  The Viewfinder seems to have a significant
number of articles addressing the use of the Leica camera, and maybe as
many aimed at history.  They also feature new items from Leica.  I see
nothing there fueling the "dichotomy" you speak of.  Most of the articles
seem to be written by Leica users, not the hard-core collector cadre others
imaginatively blame for the perceived parting of the ways.  If there is a
dichotomy it seems to me it is being pushed by the so-called hard-core
users, not the collectors.  In other words it seems to be something from
the minds of the so-called hard-core users.

I am not a collector, although I have a few old Leicas in beautiful
condition.  I enjoy using my Leicas, though only one or two to any heavy
extent, and also enjoy the history.  I see nothing wrong with collectors
practicing their hobby and preserving pristine samples of the beauty of the
Leica line.  How many cameras has Leica made over the years?  A couple
million maybe?  I suspect that there are a lot more user cameras out there
than there are collector cameras hoarded away by those pesky collectors,
which is something the hard-core users seem to anguish over.

A Leica camera should be used however the owner desires it to be used.  If
that use is to not be used, so what?  Is he/she depriving us of our use?  I
don't think so.  If there is a person here who claims they can't find a
Leica at a reasonable price because of the collectors, then they are likely
just to lazy to get out and look in the right places.

The problems that Leica users are experiencing, or seem to complain about,
are not a result of the collectors.  If anything the collector is helping
the user by taking old Leicas out of circulation.  The problems are the
result of other users not buying Leicas because other cameras have the
features they want at the price they want to pay.  If the users were
demanding more from Leica, while also buying more, there would be more, but
they are not.  And I doubt seriously Leica can stay in business just by
servicing their old cameras.  Leica has to continue making a good solid
high quality product and sell more of them.  There is a very good lesson
here to be learned from Harley Davidson.  By the late 1970s Harley was in
far worse shape than Leica is now.  Harley was very nearly down for the
count back then.  But now they sell every motorcycle they can make.  In
fact they have a near two year waiting list for a new one.  And in case you
don't keep up with Harley Davidson prices, they are very expensive
motorcycles these days.  To the casual observer, externally the Harley has
changed little in appearance but it has been upgraded and improved over the
years.  Harley did not place themselves in this very enviable position by
trying to compete with the Japanese techno-bike motorcycle market.  They
did it by making the most of their own small niche in the motorcycle
market.

Some users want a near Contax G2 clone in Leica clothing.  Others of us
want the M left alone.  Others feel the M has gone to far and wax
nostalgically about the best cameras ever having been made in the 1960s.
Others look to the R series for innovation with stability.  We all look for
quality in the Leica name and continue to buy for that reason.

Our problem will not be the collector mandating what the user gets because
a few think they have Leica's ear.  Our problems, both for users and
collectors, will likely come from the demands of the shareholders and the
inability of Leica to really understand their market, exactly who their
customers are, and what they want (unless the majority of shareholders
happen to be Leica users and collectors, which I doubt).  I applaud them
for getting out and talking to their customer base, even if it may not be
the true or full representation of that base.  At least it is a start in
the right direction.  If the users want more they better get together and
speak as a voice.  That's what Harley riders did all over this country.
And Harley was smart enough to get out there and listen.  I think Leica is
trying to get out there and listen too but the hard-core users are not
speaking with any unity.

My 2 cents
Don