Subject: Re: CL with 50mm
From: "Brian Levy" <dlevy@worldy.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 1997 18:03:47 +0000

I think Leica was being overly conservative. They seemed to feel that
the different construction of the rangefinder could/did cause
focusing differences. However, in thinking about the logic, I don't
see how. I have used the CL with a Canon 135 LTM w/ bayonet adaptor
and had no problem using the rangefinder, though it was a slow
process. I have used the C lenses on M cameras and M lenses on the CL
and there doesn't seem to be a problem. Caveat: I haven't tried an
lens with aperature greater than f/2.

> I remember reading in Leica factory literature of the mid-late 1970's that
> thre are some differences in the rangefinder cams of the "true" M lenses and
> those made specificaly for the CL.  With regard to the 90mm lenses, the
> literature stated that the minor differences in the rangefinders and cams (M
> vs. CL) did not allow the full accuracy of focusing at wide apertures.
>  Hence, the 90mm C lens was an f4, allowing a bit more slop in depth of
> field.  I presume the same could be said for 50mm lenses at extreme apertures
> of f1.4 and greater.

Brian Levy, J.D.
Scarborough Ont.