Subject: Re: Jupiter 50mm/1.5 user report
From: pgs@thillana.lcs.mit.edu (Patrick Sobalvarro)
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 1997 21:33:08 -0500

I've just received from Mark Chaney, that great purveyor of all things
ex-Soviet (to quote someone who has a bit of a flair for high-falutin'
language), a package containing not one but _two_ Jupiter-3's, in
response to my sending him back a late Jupiter-3 he had sent me but
which suffered from considerable coma.

I believe his intention is that I figure out which I like better and
send the other back.

My first Jupiter-3 seemed quite new, and the focusing and aperture
rings were loose enough to rattle a little.  It was from the Zagorsk
plant, according to Marc.  These two lenses are older (although the
glass is unmarked).  Both of these lenses I just received are chrome
- -- I requested a black one but Mark Chaney didn't have any more black
ones.

The first has a schematic representation of a cemented triplet as its
logo.  It looks sort of like the rear group of a Zeiss Biotessar.  (I
knew that Kingslake book would come in handy.)  The serial number is
N5601995.

The second has the same logo as my first, so I guess it's from the
Zagorsk plant.  The serial number is N6200027.

The first one feels better than the second -- it focuses more
smoothly, for example.  The focusing ring on the second is stiff and
also rattles.  Neither has the loose aperture ring of my first
Jupiter-3.

Marc, can you identify approximate age and plants of manufacture of
these?  Do you have any comments?  I'm going to do some test shooting
with these this weekend.

- -Patrick