Subject: Using a 90 Elmar f4 SM
From: D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 1997 08:37:18 +0800 (SGT)

Hi LUGs

I had the opportunity of using an uncoated 1939 90mm Elmar f4 on my M3 and
compared the pics with that taken with the current 90mm Elmarit 2.8.

When viewing a 4"x6" print, both lenses performed equally well in terms of
sharpness and colour.  I used them almost wide open. Contrast and colour
saturation appear a wee bit weaker with the elmar but not disturbingly so.
The current elmarit came with a built in hood.  No hood was used on the
older elmar. Maybe a lens shade or a bit of lens coating would have levelled
the playing field, would it not?   All in, I am very pleased.

The 90 SM elmars are not terribly costly.   When used with the appropriate
SM-M adapter, I think they provide good value for money.  The f4 is not
really a handicap with today's fast films.  In fact, the f4 lens is much
lighter and you can even carry  it into your shirt pocket - perfect for
street photography because nobody takes you seriously.  The aperture
progression is in Stolze? units - the  fun starts  when you try to set
modern aperture readings onto the 90 Elmar.  After all, photography is about
having fun too, is'nt it?

Dan K.