Subject: Xtol developer
From: Edward Meyers <aghalide@panix.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 1997 16:22:29 -0500 (EST)

My experince has always been that Kodak gives too high a developing
time for my taste. But also they often rate the film speeds too
high. I like more shadow detail, so I use slightly lower
film speed settings. Also, the developing times should depend
upon subject contrast and the contrast you prefer for printing.
I use a condenser enlarger which produces about one contrast
grade more contrast than a dichroic filter diffusion one, so
my times are generally shorter. For high contrast scenes I
give about 30 percent less development time. For slightly low
contrast scenes I give about 30 to 50 percent more time. But
the base time is generally shorter than the Kodak (or Ilford)
recommended starting time.