Subject: Re: Re[2]: 21mm alternatives
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 1997 20:00:05 -0500

The 2.8/35 Jupiter-12 is a clone of the Prewar Carl Zeiss Jena Biogon, one
of the titanic designs by the great Ludwig Bertele, arguably the finest
optical designer of the century (the Ermanox, Sonnar, Biogon, Aviogon, and
the second Biogon designs all descended from his genius).  In 1945, the
Soviets took the machinery from Jena and moved it East:  they are still
making the Prewar Zeiss lens line even today, the latest of them being
multi-coated.

The lens DOES have a large protruding rear element which requires great
care, and the location of the aperture ring INSIDE the filter is a pain.
Otherwise, the lens is a superb performer.  I have a couple of these, one in
Leica thread-mount and another in Contax RF bayonet, and use them both.  (I
also have a CZJ Biogon T in LTM, a Wartime cobble-together if ever there was
such!)

The chrome mounts were produced until 1974 or so;  the black mounts
thereafter.  Black paint was used to 1987, after which a mount redesign on
all these lenses led to a much nicer mount with matte paint, though I've not
yet seen such on a Jupiter-12.

I'd be interested in the factory logo and serial number from these lenses.
Incidentally, the first two digits of the serial number are generally the
year of production.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!