Subject: Re[2]: 21mm alternatives -Reply
From: Joel Tlumak <JT@JMBM.COM>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 1997 17:02:05 -0800

I solved the problem of the bare rear element of the 35mm
f/2.8 Jupiter by putting it on a screwmount Leica and leaving it
on. Period.  Also no need for an adapter.

As for the recessed aperture setting, yes, not the ideal and
inconvenient for some.  But that is a minor point given the
quality of the lens and its low cost, and I am so used to it that it
seems natural.

I can understand users getting a Summicron or a Summaron
instead. In my case, I personally prefer the Jupiter because I
specifically like the photos if gives me -- a quality that goes
beyond sharpness.  This, however, is an individual
preference.

Although theoretically I would prefer a 35mm Summicron or a
35mm f/2 Canon rangefinder for my screwmount cameras
(given their high quality and being one stop faster), I cannot
envision their giving me an improvement over the photos the
35mm Jupiter produces (sharpness alone is everything).
When I need a faster 35mm lens, I use my Hexar, but the
35mm Jupiter on a screwmount Leica is still a frequently used
combination.

And where cost is an factor (which it was when I bought the
Jupiter), it cannot be beat.