Subject: 90/2 Summicron-M & 85/1.8 AF Nikkor
From: KEVIN BURKE <KBURKE@iterated.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 97 11:04:00 EST

>From: Stefan Kahlert

>I am curious how the Nikon 85ers compare to the Leica 90mm lenses

I've been shooting a 5 element 90/2 Summicron-M and the 6
element 85/1.8 AF-Nikkor.  I rarely shoot the two side-by-side
or even with the same film.  I've sometimes thought about doing
a controlled test of the two lenses but am not particularly motivated
to engage in such activities unless I suspect a problem.  Both
lenses have been fine performers so I've just used them without
too much concern.  Here are a few observations:

90/2 Summicron-M: anyone who read my postings on the 75/1.4
might remember that I like the 90/2.  The contrast seems very
slightly lower at the nearest focusing distances near maximum
aperture.  I find this to be useful in portraiture.  The rendition of
color and brightness are typical for Leica.  The lens has qualities
I see in the 35 and 50 mm Summicrons.  There is a smoothness
and realism to the image I find hard to describe without sounding
like a man possessed.

At far distances, I've found the image quality to be high.  The lens
packs a punch at f/4 to f/5.6 (also a nice aperture range at near
distances) although f/2 and f/2.8 are decent as well.  The field
looks reasonably flat and the resolution uniform.  I hear great things
about the current 90/2.8 Elmarit-M but for the way I work, I haven't
wanted anything more.  Maybe if I tried the 90/2.8 I'd change my
mind, but I haven't felt particularly motivated given my satisfaction
with the 90/2.  Besides, I use f/2 regularly.

85/1.8 AF-Nikkor: I like this lens too.  And, for the $200 (used, Ex+)
I paid for it, I like it even more.  When using a 75/1.4 at maximum
aperture and near focus distances, I found the Summilux to have
a bit of it's own unique "personality".  In comparison, the Nikkor
doesn't really have a peculiar fingerprint.  It seems as close to an
ideal lens as I have used around this focal length.  By ideal, I mean
ideal in a technical sense.  The imaging performance is quite
predictable and doesn't change terribly much from infinity to 0.85
meter.  Transistions of the image from in-focus to out-of-focus are
very clean.  The contrast is on par with what I've experienced from
other Nikkor primes.  Overall, I have found the lens to be universally
applicable to about every subject I've approached with it.

I've been shooting the 85 without a hood and have noticed that light
sources either in the picture or just outside can cause some flare
reminiscent of a very large reflected image.  Reorienting the lens
helps but shielding the front element removes the effect.  I have not
done the Christmas-light-coma-test with the lens.

All that being said, the Nikkor's optical performance is very good.  If
the photographer wanted something with a unique imaging signature,
it might not fill the bill.  Given a choice I usually reach for the
Summicron.
But, for the money, I consider the Nikkor a bargain and shoot it without
hesitation.

Obligatory disclaimer: all the above IMHO, of course...

 - Kevin
kburke@iterated.com