Subject: Film ID, 50mm, Variable (zoom) for M's
From: Afterswift@aol.com
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 1997 20:35:04 -0500 (EST)

My 1955 Leica M3 has a dial on back which can be set to disclose film type
and ASA speed. Also, the leather case has a window thru which the dial is
visible.

As for the diminution of viewfinder area as we focus closer, the M's don't
compensate, but I've never found that to be a problem in the real world.

I've found the 50mm to be the best all around lens, particularly when
conditions permit moving in or backing away. All the other focal lengths lose
their advantage once the subject is out of their specialized range.

Had a discussion with Leitz about a variable focal lens for the M. about 20
years ago. They replied that they had experimented with such a design but
found it compromised quality and really didn't work well. The viewfinder
correspondence proved to be a complicating factor and the camera became
ungainly. The dual range Summacron is related to that design. And that didn't
go anywhere in the long run.

Bob