Subject: Re: Working Kit
From: ireland@blazenet.net (Robert Brummett)
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 1997 12:37:16 -0500

>I'm newly signed on to the list and put my 2-cents in for whatever it might
>be worth, assuming that the USERS in the title means what it says. I'm a
>working pro and would love to see a thread started about "working kit." I
>added my first Leica to my kit about 25 years ago and it's still going
>strong: a 2-stroke M3 with a 50/f2. My current "standard" is an M4 with a
>35/f2 and sometimes a 90/f2.8. But I also use Nikons (yes! the 85/1.8 is
>wonderful!) and 4x5 also (which goes to Europe 3 or 4 times a year).
>
>I would enjoy sharing notes on working kit with like-minded folks,if this
>is the sort of thread that has a place on this list.
>
>I'll hold off on any more comments on my own gear experiences until I know
>if this suggestion is appropriate for this spot.
>
>Best regards,
>
>Robert

Well, since I started this I guess I should pony up...

My current working kit varies, of course, depending on what I'm
photographing, how far I am from home, and what the final product is
supposed to be. Right now I'm in the final (?) stages of a documentary
(whatever THAT means anymore!) series in Gaelic-speaking Ireland. When I go
over for this project, my kit is almost always:

A 4x5 view camera with tripod, holders, &c, the works... an old M4, usually
with just a 35/f2, sometimes with a 90/f2.8... a very old meterless Nikon F
(one of my first "pro" cameras) with (this varies) 24/f2.8, 55MN,
85/f1.8... a Nikon FM for color slides, usually w/ 35/f2... an shirtpocket
Olympus clamshell for grab-shots and shots-of-record,usually loaded w/ a
EI100 OR 200 color neg emulsion...

Except for the clamshell, and sometimes the FM, all of my metering is done
with handhelds, my favorite workhorse being an older Gossen SBC nulling
meter to which I have affixed a zone dial. I also usually take along a
Minolta incident meter as backup.

On these European jaunts the only clothes that can go along are the ones
that can be wrapped around a piece of gear! I'll saving "packing
strategies" for later if there is any interest.

About the Leica... In a kind of Darwinian process the M4 w/ 35/f2 loaded
with Tri-X has become the camera that goes with me just about everywhere
when I'm working. What's that process called, "natural selection"? That
seems to be the way it's worked. As a result a disproportionately large
number of my pictures are made with this camera. Didn't somebody say "f/8
and be there" or some such thing? The M4 is usually there, so it gets the
work.

Don't want to hog space, so I'll close this for now. Anxious to hear from
other working stuffs about their personal fetishes.

Best regards to all,

Robert