Subject: Nikkor 85mm lenses & a vague reference to Leica (was: Off subject)
From: KEVIN BURKE <KBURKE@iterated.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 97 09:30:00 EST

From: Dan Cardish

>Basically all of the Nikkor 85s are top notch.  The 85/1.4 has what Nikon
>calls "close focusing correction" system, or something like that, which are
>essentially floating elements.  The close-up range is super; I have already
>convinced myself of this.  The 85/1.8 is much less expensive and smaller
>than the 1.4 version.  I recently played with a Nikon F5 that happened to
>have an AF 85/1.8 on it.  At first I thought it was just a 50.  The 85/1.8
>makes much more sense.

I've been shooting the 85/1.8 AF Nikkor along side the 75/1.4 Summilux-M
and 90/2 Summicron-M.  I think it is a very nice "all 'round" lens: very
good
at all apertures and all focal lengths.  It's performance at f/1.8 & 1 meter
is
comparable to about any similar lens.  It also has psuedo internal focusing
for better than average focus speed (for a Nikon).  Nikon literature doesn't
call it IF, per se.  For the ~$200 (Ex+) I paid for it, I sometimes wonder
about
the price of new Leica stuff.  In combination with AF, I've gotten a higher
percentage of keepers in certain situations than with an M6/90 or M6/75.

FWIW, there is an 85/1.4 AF-IF Nikkor now.  I think the price of the thing
is
into Leica prime lens territory.  It has yet another element and retains
CRC.
I haven't heard if they reduced the flare issue present in the MF version.

 - Kevin
kburke@iterated.com