Subject: Re: Why HC-110??-LONG
From: firkin@netconnect.com.au (Alastair Firkin)
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 07:03:08 +1100

Thank you Greg for a great discussion on HC-110 and the experience of other
B/W developers out there. I have been "out" of B/W for some years, and just
getting back into it. The 70's saw me develop hundreds of rolls in D76
heavily diluted, then developed for 15 mins. This produced very consistant
results, but a somewhat thin negative. I recognize this now, but I was just
churning out images for the school magazine and it was the image and the
cost of developer, not the quality of the B/W work which concerned me. I
never liked the rather harsh style so common then of heavy contrast and
dominant grain and unlike the other school photographers, I used slower
film [TriX being almost universal for everyone else, I used PlusX or
slower].

Since then its been Cibachrome and Colour all the way except for the rare
occasion, [wedding etc] when I felt a more permanent record in b/w would be
nice. Colour work at least made me more fastidious and I was forced to
record and analyse. I'm feeling more grown up now and intend to spend the
next few years trying to correct my sloppy b/w ways. My question concerns
paper. I've never used multigraded papers. My favourite paper was always
"Tura" and when that died, Agfa and occasional Ilford products, usually
warmer softer toned papers. I don't want to stop the film development
theme, but would love it to develop into print production.

I am amazed when I see how touchy the internet discussion groups and
individuals are. When I first joined this and other groups, I thought it
would become a "long term chain letter" series between growing friends,
with a common interest. I suppose its more like a "long" Christmas day with
the extended family. As the day draws on the personalities begin to niggle.
Then someone introduces politics, religion, morals and sport and the
experts begin to pair and square off. Before you know it the ability for
humans to misinterpret and exaggerate takes the discussion into shark
infested waters. This can of course produce the most interesting
intellectual part of the evening, but in my family usually leads to the
absence of one or more of the group for a year or two.

I suppose its only motivated and opinionated persons who care to be
involved in these long distance "friendships". I know for one that I'm a
bit of an arrogant sod when I get on the soapbox, but past the niggles and
bruised egos, there is much to be learnt and appreciated in this group. As
long as we can keep a sense of humour then the occasional keyboard lashing
should really only produce a brief disquiet. I for one quite like the
"battles", but not if it means we lose members of the group in the same way
my family "breaks-up" each christmas ;-)

I'm enjoying visiting LUGnut sites. Don't be shy, post those URL's. For a
fair price on an M4 in Australia, try ringing the Camera Exchange in
Melbourne and asking John. Some of the gear in the shop is "heavily" used,
but the prices are realistic and the range is often wide and though he is
often busy, he will give a fair estimate of real value.

Alastair Firkin
http://www.netconnect.com.au/~firkin/AGFhmpg.html