Subject: Re: Inter-list Ethics: Was The Leica of... Questars... etc
From: gregm@world.std.com (Greg Mironchuk)
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 1997 09:14:46 -0400

At 4:08 PM 1/13/97, Bruce MacKnight wrote:

>Fred's account of his experience with a Questar telescope was written
>in this context.  When it was extracted and then sent to the Questar
>list, it went without the context. To someone on the Questar list
>reading it,  in the absence of context, it seemed to say "Take
>shots".  When Clive Gibbons responded, he did so assuming that
>distribution would be limited to the Questar list.  He wrote in that
>context.  I'm confident if he'd known at the time he was writing,
>that his message was going to end up on the Leica list, he would
>have been more considered in his reply.
>
>I cannot agree with the view that anything on the Leica list is fair
>game, for posting elsewhere by members.  Facts: Maybe.
>Personal experience, opinion, and views: No, not without permission.
>To me it's nothing more than courtesy, and common sense.

Anything written, and then re-transmitted on this, or any other forum, is
considered to be PUBLISHED, and is subject to the Laws of Copyright...
which, in the absence of a contract that clearly transfers the copyright to
another individual or company, remains with the author.

This is not an opinion... this is not speculation... this is fact. It is
not only rude, and disrespectful to take a person's writings, and without
his/her permission, re-publish it in another forum... it is illegal.

I OFTEN cross-post something interesting, from one list that I am
subscribed to, to another... but I ALWAYS get permission from the writer of
the posting, and often ask permission to re-post from the
list-op/list-owner to which I am cross-posting.

I have NEVER been refused permission to do this... and never would refuse
to offer permission to another individual who might want to cross-post one
of my semi-literate skreeds... but I'd be Right Pissed at anyone who didn't
ask.

In the Civilized World... Art belongs to The Artist.

                                                Greg.

P.S.... Under current copyright statutes... it is no longer neccessary to
indicate the little "=A9" symbol, and date, to show copyright. Copyright is
ASSUMED under the law.

                                                      Greg Mironchuk
                                              409 Central St, Saugus, MA 019=
06