Subject: Re: (QUESTAR) Re: The Leica of... Questars.... off-topic
From: dwp@deltanet.com
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 97 21:49:26

In <32D8F625.7211@erols.com>, on 01/12/97 at 10:33 AM,
   Fred Ward <fward@erols.com> said:

>And this is the way the list drifts..... further and further off topic.

>Well, once or twice a year I honestly believe I can make a contribution
>to the Leica list and post a personal experience. And then the NET s
>unique ability to be petty and to fine-tune character assassination leaps
>into action.

>I posted a message about my experiences with a Questar telescope a long
>time ago. I posted it to the Leica list because that is the only list
>that had the Questar thread going and it is the list I care about. If I
>wanted to be on the Questar list or post on it, I would do so. I posted
>it here... and Marc James Small lifted it without asking me and posted it
>onto the Questar list, where it was assured to attract a barrage of
>negative responses. And one diatribe at least was posted there, and Marc
>thoughtfully lifted the personal attack on me from the Questar list to
>share with all of us.

>I would like to see this thread end. This list does not deserve having
>thoughtful personal experiences posted when they end like this. Who wants
>to spend his time sharing so pin-heads can blast away.

>As for the Mr. Gibbons attack on me:

>I know a great deal about what I was speaking of. I visited Questar,
>introduced myself by describing the photographic use I intended for the
>Questar. There was no misunderstanding about my purpose. Then when I came
>back for the solar filter, I also described that this was purely for a
>photographic use, for a solar eclipse.

>1. The early Questar electric drives were less than accurate. Of course
>you have to make adjustments for multiple-hour exposures. That is NOT
>what I was making. Even Questar admitted the old drives were not accurate
>and changed them.

>2. We have truth in advertising laws here, and Questar was then
>advertising f/stops. What was advertised and what was printed was not so.
>When Mr. Gibbons refers to my <complete ignorance> he makes a quantum
>leap into hyperspace without knowing anything about me and apparently not
>knowing what he is talking about. Questar was advertising and promoting
>superior quality... which included a printed f/stop and the assurance
>that this was a quality optic for photography. It was far slower than
>advertised, and it had vignetting that I found excessive. I knew how the
>telescope was constructed, and that was beside the point. The company was
>promising one thing and delivering another.

>3. Mr. Gibbons is once again totally off-base with his comment about
>shutter bounce and mirror slap causing the double images. Get your facts
>straight, Mr. Gibbons, before you start your month flapping. I used a
>Nikon F with the mirror locked up, and Questar itself agreed that the
>double image was caused by its faulty solar filter.

>And saying my reporting all this to Questar was <complaining> and
><pathetic> is ridiculous.

> [...]

I read Fred's orginal post and Mr. Gibbons pathetic reaction.  Its a shame
that some on the net think its like the wild west "shoot first ask
questions later" or maybe just keep shooting.

Lifting and reposting seems to be a good way to start flame wars and I
hope all here have learned a lesson.  Don't let it happen again, we all
have more usefull things on which to spend our time.

I also hope Fred will continue to make helpful (for me anyway) post to
this list.

Now, let this thread die, it should have never acquired this afterlife
anyway.

Dennis Painter

Experience is a tough teacher. It gives the test before the lesson.
- -unknown