Subject: M6 battery cap securing suggestion
From: KEVIN BURKE <KBURKE@iterated.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 97 11:00:00 EST

>From: Mike Gardner

>[...]  My
>battery cover loosens periodically... once to the point of losing meter
>function but not losing the cover/holder.  I just check it a few times
>during the course of the day without much thought.  I will come up with
>something to put on threads to discourage loosening, I just don't want
>to need a pliers and hammer to change out batteries!

I've not needed to secure the battery covers of my M6s, but would probably
try Teflon plumber's tape if I found them trying to escape periodically.
 The
tape does not seize per se, but fills the voids between the threads of the
pieces screwed together.  The little bit of extra material in there might be
enough to make the cap not walk off because of vibration or rough handling.
At the same time, the material doesn't dry out or set which seems like it
ought to facilitate straight forward removal.  I suppose if one were really
good about cutting a small strip to completely circle the threads, the joint
would be water tight (if it makes a difference).

Discalimer:  I've never tried this, but would look at it more if I needed
to.

Someone let me know if you do try this and it works well.

 - Kevin
kburke@iterated.com