Subject: Re: Why HC-110???
From: Godfrey DiGiorgi <ramarren@apple.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 97 23:13:54 -0800

>HC-110 is a tricky devloper, Kodak's times are inaccurate for real world
>applications so a process of experimentation is what you can expect before
>"ideal" results are achieved.  Begin by cutting back Kodak's times by
>10%...some may advise you also to increase dilution.  My humble advice is
>to steer clear of this stuff.
>Really would point you in another direction than HC-110.

Hmm. I dunno, that's counter to my experience. I mix HC-110 1:31 directly
from the concentrate and process Tri-X, Plus-X and Agfa APX 100 in it.
My results have been excellent, for both the 35mm and the Minox films.
Speed rating seems about right and I'm getting nice tight grain and good
tonal scale with it. I have tweaked the times a little bit (10% more for
Minox film) but it's substantially as suggested by Kodak.

The developing solutions mentioned by Ben sound very intriguing as Rodinal
is my second most-used developer. I am trying with a mix of some sodium
sulfite into the Rodinal soup to reduce grain as well, and that has
returned
some interesting results.

Godfrey