Subject: Questar quality
From: "C.M. Fortunko" <fortunko@boulder.nist.gov>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 1997 10:25:26 -0700

LUGs,

It is not fair to demand that the Questar have the same imaging quality as a
good Leica lens.

The Questar construction prevents this. It is a reflector and the obstacle
inside the tube causes light scattering (diffraction) effects that do not
exist inside a good classical lens. As a consequence, contrast must be reduced.

I also doubt that the quality of the optics is as good in the Questar as it
would be in a top-of-the-line Leica or Nikon lens.

Anyway, the reason for Questar demise may be that Mead is producing
telescopes that are a factor of 6 cheaper. At this point the discussion
should move to a different forum.

Incidentally, does anyone know if Mead can be operated with a Leica?

My solution to telescopy is an old, but superb, diesel 180mm Elmarit-R with
a Leica telescope ocular. The definition is simply superb, because of the
optics and tripod bush, which enables me to steady this contraption. Next
time we expect something like a comet strike on Saturn, I plan to take this
thing to the Western Slope and mount it on a proper mount for astronomy.
Does anyone know how to operate the Leica R lenses with the Visoflex?

Best of Starlight,

Chris