Subject: Re:
From: imxputs@knoware.nl (Erwin Puts/imX)
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 1997 22:36:47 +0100

>Excuse me if this question has been asked before. If so, please give me a hint
>where to find the answer.
>
>Which are the (optical) differences between the actual 50/f2 and the 50/f2.8.
>
>I phoned Leica and they told me the f2 is in general the better lens. Is this
>true under all circumstances?
>I want to buy an alternative to the heavy weight Noctilux, so I don't need the
>extra stop.
>
>christoph
Hello,
The new 2,8/50 is wonderfully compact and its optical properties are very
close to the Summicron-M. Leica is quite honest in stating that the Elmar_M
is a mite behind the Summicron, but I wonder if anyone can notice the
difference. Only problem with the Elmar-M: its list price is higher than
the Summicron. But its close-up performance is breathtaking. The sharpness
impression is more brittle than the Summicron, which has the characteristis
Leica smoothness, but here we have the optical properties between a
4-element lens and a 6-element lens.
Erwin Puts