Subject: Re: Information regarding Leica photography
From: imxputs@knoware.nl (Erwin Puts/imX)
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 1997 20:20:24 +0100

>At 02:48 AM 07/01/97 EST, you wrote:
>>Good evening,
>>
>      <SNIP>
>
>>I'll post one of my questions again and ask, How many are using the new R8 and
>>if so what are your re-actions? I would like to compare them to my own, as I
>>have been using one for several weeks.

Hello,
I have used an R8 for a couple of months fo testing purposes. My first
impressions were that the camera has the intuitive feel of an M-camera. It
just forces you to take *classical* pictures. The two large wheels on
either side of the body are very easy and comfortable to use. The
viewfinder is one of the brightest ever. The sound is quite low, lower in
fact than the Nikon F5 and close to the M. These are not impressions, but
sound (audio) analysis tests. The handling of the R8 is a revelation, after
using the Contax AX and the Nikon F5. The TTL spotmeter/studi-flash
capabilities are limited but well done. The difference in exposure accuracy
between the matrix mode and the full integral mode are surprisingly not
that big. But it holds its own against the much publicized colour matrix
meeting of the F5. The spotmetering is very accuate but only usable by
someone who understands the basics of the Zone system. Yes it is heavy but
I know of no other camera that fits your hand so easily. I would designate
as the M philosophy in an SLR body.
Erwin Puts