Subject: Re: battery cap and other oddball parts
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 1997 15:35:11 -0500

At 10:25 AM 09-01-97 -0500, Bob (I think) wrote:
>As a soon to be M6 owner, I am very interested to read the various nuts and
bolts that are prone to loss. It seems like the viewfinder and battery cover
are the two biggies.

>1). A tiny drop of loctite on the viewfinder thread dows not sem
unreasonable. Many screws holding electro-mechanical devices onto circuit
boards have a drop of some sort of glue on them as they are manufactured
anyway. Besides, one drop of loctite vs. a $70 viewfinder?

>2). Battery cover. I am getting a hard ever-ready case, and have been
assured that the bottem part and top part unsnap. I would like to just leave
the bottem part on the camera to protect it from knocks. Hopefully the
bottem part covers the battery compartment. then it would be less likely to
be lost.

>Any other bits to watch out for?
[snip]

I have been following this thread with some interest.  The battery cover on
my M6 (Wetzlar, 1704xxx) seems very secure.  If anything it is too tight.  I
sometimes have trouble removing it.  I can't imagine it coming undone by
itself.  I'm wondering if a design change has taken place between my M6 and
current models.

As far as the two part case is concerned, I use it for just the purpose you
suggest; take off the top half and use the bottom part for protection.  Two
points; it does NOT cover the battery compartment, and it can be a nuisance
if you have to change film quickly.

Dan C.