Subject: Re: M6 Titanium
From: Mark Bergman <BMWR100R@mwci.net>
Date: Sun, 05 Jan 1997 00:07:54 -0800

Speaking as an engineer who worked for the US Navy in the submarine
department:

Titanium (besides being strong) is non-magnetic.  The US was (is) big in
sub detection and one very good method to detect things underwater is
magnetic detection of steel hulls.

Cost is not a problem (esp. in a dictatorship) for the military.

Manufacturing titanium hulls is (welding is a mjor problem).  If memory
serves me the Russians built one maybe two ships.  Wouldn't want to take
a dive in the North Atlantic in them <G>.

Our ships don't rust either (we paint them).  Believe me when I say we
knew what the Russian had (though it may not have been public
consumption) thanks to some dockyard workers.