Subject: special metals -- OFF-TOPIC
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 1997 22:12:10 -0500

At 05:19 PM 1/4/97 -0500, Craig W. Shier wrote:

>The Soviet Alpha class was made of titanium.  They made very few due to high
>cost, although if you consult Jane's, you'll find it had excellent operating
>characteristics.  The rumor I heard as to how we found out it was titanium
>is that the lead ship was pulled out of the water and left on the dock for
>several years.  Intel photos showed no rust.

Well, right before the First War, the Russians built battleships out of
high-tensile strength steel.  This wasn't a good idea from an operational
angle, and it also meant that none of the ships were ever completed due to cost.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!