Subject: I'm new to this
From: John Babcock <jbabcoc1@osf1.gmu.edu>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 1996 12:37:53 -0500

I am very new to photography.  My interest in it began when my father
gave me an old Bronica that he had owned while he was in the Peace Corps
(Ethiopia) in the early 60's.  He talked about another camera that he
had, but wouldn't let me have until I could figure out the Bronica.  It
was a Leica.  I  now have it but don't own it.  I don't know what model
it is, how do you tell?  I don't have the manual that came with it,
telling me about the features, ect.  I also have a portrait lense (as my
father called it).  Are there any suggestions about books I could get to
help me understand this camera better?  I know it will be sad to some of
you that I have, probably, a good camera and I don't know much about it.

I also got a flash this Christmas.  It is a Nissin 4200GW.  My husband
bought it for me to use with the Bronica, but it can be used with the
Leica too.  The problem is that I think the connection on the camera is
dirty because the flash will only go off when the cord is twisted in a
certain position.  How is that place cleaned, and could it be something
else that keeps the flash from working properly?  It works fine with the
Bronica.  I also just got the Leica repaired, so I think it should be in
good shape.

I am a painter, really, but I have taken good pictures so far.  At least
they seem good, but I have no professional standards.  I did take some
good pictures at my sister-in-law's wedding, and some interesting ones
of my 3-year old.  I would like some advice, if anyone could spare the
time.