Subject: The Leica of...
From: bholmes@frii.com (Ben Holmes)
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 1996 09:55:47 -0700 (MST)

Someone used the phrase "The Leica of..." when extolling the virtues of
something he felt was a world class item. It's funny how these cameras have
become iconic to us in that we hold them up as a standard of quality.

I have always (as long as I can remember) been attracted to such items.
Orvis reels, Armani shirts, Fenco pruning shears - the list goes on. Or does
it? It seems that there are fewer and fewer items that we can point to today
and say, positively, "this is the BEST that the world has to offer.". Not to
get completely off the beaten path but what happened to our sense of
quality? Why doesn't the world expect more from the things that we buy?

When I try to explain my choice of cameras to people who ask, the light just
doesn't come on for most of them. I try to explain the magic of owning
something that is made so well and they don't get it. If it doesn't say
"Craftsman" they couldn't care less, does anybody follow what I'm saying?

Curious,

,/8^|