Subject: Meter calibration Re: Leica CL Metering
From: Chris Fortunko <fortunko@boulder.nist.gov>
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 1996 14:07:26 -0700

LUGs,

I recently reported on my experiences with calibrating light meters in Leitz
cameras. I find that the use of the gray card can lead to errors unless the
card is very large and focal length is long.

My preferred method is now based on the use of a good lightbox, like the one
you would use to view high-quality slides. I then use my M6 meter and 90mm
lens as the reference. The same lens is used on the camera to be calibrated.

I do not own a CL, but have heard that the original meter cells were not of
the highest quality. Personally, I like CdS meters. Too bad that the mercury
cells are no longer universally available.

Have a great X-mas and don't forget to use your Leicas,

Chris