Subject: Re: UVa filters, lens hoods and stuff / CL and M series lenses
From: dlevy@worldy.com
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 1996 19:07:54 -0500

At 05:09 PM 12/18/96 -0500, you wrote:
>Dear LUGGER'S,
>
>Just noticed the filter fit on my Leica lenses isn't the same ... and
>some lens hood and lens cap questions arise as well.
>
>Ex:  The 50mm f/2.0 Summicron-M and 90mm f/2.8 Tele-Elmarit-M UVa filters
>fit snugly and apparently flat edge-of-filter to flat-end of lens 'nose'.
>Both filters are 39E; one's a B+W and the other is a Leitz.
>
>My tiny CL camera's 40mm f/2.0 Summicron-C has a 39E on it and the filter
>doesn't seem to fit correctly.  That is, it doesn't seat snugly, flat edge
>of filter ring-to-flat edge of lens 'nose' like it's two 'cousins', above.
>BTW, a Leica dealer sold me the filter for the 40mm lens.  I think I got
>hosed.

I'm not sure what you mean? Could you try one more time?

>1) After further investigation, doesn't the 40mm f/2.0 Summicron-C
>(Wetzlar) require a series 5.5 filter?

The specification was a 5.5 Series filter held in place with the ruber hood.
I remember Leica saying the 39E wasn't the same as the 39mm on their lenses.
I never reconciled this statement since I use 39mm filters on both with no
problem.

>1a) If so, where on Earth do I find a multi-coated series 5.5 UVa filter?
>I prefer a B+W or Leitz and can't find a listing for one anywhere.

I found very few 5.5 filters, but several years ago did standardize to
series VI for the Leica and a couple of other cameras. The series VI adaptor
works fine, though a 5.5 system may allow a little more ease or control
setting on the Summicrom-C.

>2) Is there any known hard plastic replacement for the terribly-made
>rubber lens hood (12518) and snap-fit lens cap (14191) that came standard
>with the 40mm Summicron-C lenses / CL cameras?  These things are a 100%
>joke when it comes to quality and function.  Terrible!

I use the Series VI screw on laens shade. It works fine. I have several
adaptors and shades set up with my more popular filters and just remove and
one assmbly and replace it with another when I want to change filters.

>3) Does anyone know if the Minolta version for their 40mm f/2.0 Rokkor-C
>was better / different?  (It would be almost impossible to make a shade /
>lens cap combination worse - in quality or in function - than the Leitz
>rubber contraption.  Leitz-Wetzlar engineering should have been ashamed!)

I think you'll find that was a 40.5mm thread.

>4) The clip-fit plastic lens shade (12538) for an older 50mm f/2.0
>Summicron-M (Wetzlar) continues to mar the lens barrel with each removal
>and attachment.  Even then, the lens cap (a black metal slip-on thing with
>a strip of burgundy-red "rat fur" inside as a friction fit) doesn't fit
>the lens with the hood on and the hood almost wants to reverse on the lens
>for ease of storage but not quite.
>
>Even then, the lens cap wouldn't fit in place so it's worthless and is yet
>another loose piece to get lost in the haste of shooting.  Does anyone
>know of a suitable replacement?  (If this is a pristine example of Leitz
>engineering for convenience, it's horrible!)

No help here. Never could find a suitable cap.

>5) My Minolta 28mm f/2.8 Rokkor-C requires a 40.5mm filter size.  Any idea
>where to find a top-notch multi-coated UVa filter for THIS?

I have a 40.5mm Zeiss filter which I use for the 90mm f/4 Rokkor. I can't
tell you if it is multicoated, but I don't experience any greater degree of
flare with it than without on the 90mm. I think the Zeiss 40.5 series are
about the best qaulity of that size of any brand I've got.

Brian Levy, J.D.
Agincourt Ont.
dlevy@worldy.com