Subject: Re: Tripod adapter for M cameras?
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 1996 10:08:39 -0800

Joe B. wrote:

> I'd like to be able to use M bodies on a tripod but I can't get on with
> the tripod socket being at the end. I know the M-grips are supposed to
> have a central tripod socket, which leads me to ask- is there a tripod
> adapter that does this for M cameras that is generally available?

Joe:

Really Right Stuff makes a whole line of quick release plates designed
to fit Arca Swiss and other compatible quick release systems such as
Foba and Studioball.  They make one plate specifically for the M-system
that is long enough to slide the center of balance toward center.  I
haven't seen it, but the catalog calls it "elegant."  If you need the
number, let me know, and I'll look it up.

I just recently bought both large and small ball heads from Foba.  The
small one goes on my Gitzo Carbon Fiber Mountaineer tripod and it is
sweet.  I have, temporarily, a not-so-elegant quick release plate on the
M, but I love the combination.  Solid, lightweight, quick to use and, of
course, in the great tradition of Leica photography, very expensive.

I will be ordering the RRStuff plate shortly as well as plates for all
my other bodies.

Donal Philby
San Diego