Subject: Re: Tripod adapter for M cameras?
From: gregm@world.std.com (Greg Mironchuk)
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 1996 22:38:47 -0400

At 7:14 PM 12/22/96, Joe B. wrote:
>I'd like to be able to use M bodies on a tripod but I can't get on with
>the tripod socket being at the end. I know the M-grips are supposed to
>have a central tripod socket, which leads me to ask- is there a tripod
>adapter that does this for M cameras that is generally available?
>--
>Joe B.

A news photographer... Long in the Tooth and Great of Girth, who lives in
Saugus, Massachusetts, USA... is sometimes seen carrying M-3 Leicas upon
which are mounted Nikon AH-3 tripod adaptors (a device designed to put a
"center" tripod screw onto the bottom of an "offset screw" MD-12 motor
drive, for FM/FE cameras).

It is my understanding that he "crazy glues" a piece of plastic shim onto
the insides of each of the two tabs that stick up over the AH-3, which are
there to laterally stabilize the adaptor while screwed onto an MD-12. Those
M-3s are thinner than those MD-12's, so the extra plastic is needed to snug
the tabs against the bottom plate of the M-3s, to which they are affixed.

He appears to have no trouble turning the little key that affixes the
bottom plate to the camera, while the adaptors are mounted, so that he may
happily load film into the M-3s.

                                                Greg.

                                                      Greg Mironchuk
                                              409 Central St, Saugus, MA 01906