Subject: Cross border repairs
From: Ian Stanley <ian@mos.com.np>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 08:49:23 +0545 (+0545)

Greetings from Nepal,

        Needless to say, it is impossible to get any work done on my cameras
and lenses here but perhaps my experiences with dealing accross borders may
help.  I get all of the work done on my Leica's in England (William's of
Hove) but I have to ship my large format work to the US when I am in Canada.
My camera goes back to Zone VI Studios in Vermont (a great company) - this
has only happened once.  There is no charge to me from either the US or the
Canada customs for the camera going back and forth - make sure that you take
the camera into your local customs office to let them know that you are
shipping it out for repairs and there should be no problem on it's return.
The "brokerage fee" you mention is usually charged by the courier companies
to move a package through customs so unless you are in a real hurry just use
the regular mail system.  One other thing - when I am importing photography
equipment into Canada from the US as long as it is classified as
"professional equipment" I pay no duty or taxes on the stuff.  This all
seems to be changing constantly and I find that it is actually easier every
year!  Take heart - any of this is easier than getting anything in or out of
Nepal!

Ian
Kathmandu, Nepal