Subject: Re: Minolta CLE
From: dlevy@worldy.com.plugplay.com
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 1996 11:58:53 -0500

My experiences:

1. When I got my CL, I starting looking for items such as the rubber lens
shades, etc. I contacted Minolta since they produced the CL after Leica
discontinued it and later the CLE. I was told that no accy. were available
for either through them and that they no longer supported repairs of either
model and had in fact sold remaining parts stock to someone in NJ. At that
time, they gave me his name and number, but in the interim I have lost it.
Others on this group have said that Minolta has repired their camera, but
since I don't know if parts were involved, it is difficult to reconcile what
I was told and what their experiences were except that possibly Minolta is
now supporting the camera and repurchasing repair parts from the person they
sold the stock to. I would suggest before you buy to contact Minolta
yourself and find out if they are supporting repairs and have parts
avaialble and for how long do they intend to continue support.

2. When I got the CL, the meter needle was sticky. Not unusual considering
the camera s/n is very low (production possibly 1972 and I bought it in 1988
- - 89. I called Leica who told me to send it in for a CLA. They told me they
had a large repair inventory for the camera and there was no problems
repairing it. I had them do the CLA and the cost was very reasonable and
done correctly the first time. Oh, in the CL Pop Photo review, the meter was
noted as being less sealed againt dust than they would like to have seen,
but it was typical of meters no better, no worse. When I had the camera
repaired, I was asked if I wanted a new top plate since there was a small
ding on mine. I have seen quite a few CLs with similar dings. The result of
the lugs being on one end. I don't recall ever seeing any with the black
worn through, so it seems to be quite resistant. I think that in the not too
distant future, I will start looking for a second system as my son's first
Leica.

At 08:31 PM 12/17/96 +0000, you wrote:
> dlevy@worldy.com.plugplay.com writes
>>Seems to be some disagreement as to whether the CLE
>>repars are being supported any longer by Minolta USA.
>
>There may be a distinction between the long-term repairability of the
>CLE and that of the CL- I'm not too sure about this but I have read a
>couple of accounts of CLE users finding after some electronic
>malfunction that their camera was not repairable any more as parts were
>unobtainable. I haven't heard anything similar about the (Leica) CL. Any
>clarification of this appreciated.
>--
>Joe B.

Brian Levy, J.D.