Subject: Re: LTM Repairs!
From: dlevy@worldy.com.plugplay.com
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 1996 11:58:57 -0500

You may want to contact Leica re: this. Since the Canada and US operations
are separate, there may be an agreement between them for this fee. For those
familiar w/ Minox, the US company states it will not service or sell
instructions manuals for and product not originally distributed by them in
the US. This statement was originally seen in an article in Popular
Photography and I received a letter stating this when I had them repair my
ML. I called them when I received it since it did not pertain to me and I
was offended/confounded. They stated that the reason was that since they did
not import/distribute these non US cameras, they received no profit but had
the overhead of the repairs and repair facility maintenance. Very POOR
marketing for a company which was already in financial difficulty. It is
possible Leica has this fee in deferrence to taking Minox's attitude towards
foreign sold cameras.

At 09:49 PM 12/17/96 +0000, you wrote:
>> Date:          Tue, 17 Dec 1996 07:10:36 -0500
>> To:            leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
>> From:          wilcox@umcc.umich.edu (Ken Wilcox)
>> Subject:       Re: LTM Repairs!
>
>> Yes. The CLAed my IIIg for me a couple of years back. Rather expensive and
>> the the "brokerage fee" seem silly to me. I guess I don't understand the
>> term "free trade"
>>
>I bought a used made in Midland camera from a person in canada last
>month.  I'm not sure what free trade means either, what did NAFTA
>stand for?

Brian Levy, J.D.
Agincourt Ont.
dlevy@worldy.com