Subject: M's are tough
From: Jim Arnold <arbus@akron.infi.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 1996 23:56:50 -0400

I've got an M2 that lived its life as a newspaper camera before
it's current home with me. It's missing a lot of leather and has
more nicks, dings and dents than an urban 1976 Chevy Caprice.

I think the camera was made in 1954. When I got it the camera was
working fine and smooth as silk. After a CLA (after 40 years I figured it
deserved one) it's better than ever.

They'll take a lot of abuse and use. I don't abuse my cameras but use them.
They will take an accidental knock now and then and be fine.

For a user camera I would rather buy one that's had a productive life
rather than sitting on a shelf looking pretty. M's are meant to be used. I
think they they like it and it keeps them healthy and happy.

Jim

>>I know I treat my M6 with care, but it's good to know it can take abuse if
>I need to >dish it out.
>
>Trust me on this one.  I treat my Leicas as tools, and they get some banging
>around.  They're tougher than my treatment, so they're tough.  No Nikon, no
>Canon, damned few Zeiss Ikon cameras would hold together.  A Rollei, of
>course.
>
>Maybe that's why I shoot Leica and Rollei ... the only cameras that can take
>my treatment!
>
>Marc
>
>msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
>Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!

      Jim Arnold   -   arbus@akron.infi.net
    Ohio.com supervisor (http://www.ohio.com)
       (o) 330.253.9574     (f) 330.253.8214
   333 S. Main - Suite 607 - Akron, OH  44309
           Ohio.com -- The online service
            of the Akron Beacon Journal