Subject: Re: Protection for 19-R...
From: "Jeff Segawa" <segawa@netone.com>
Date: 15 Dec 96 14:30:34 -0600

>Are there ways of installing a UVa into the shade perhaps by dismantling
the
>shade then rebuilding it with a series filter in it...or something else?
I'm
>open to suggestion.

Possible? Perhaps, if the shade is not so precisely sized as to show up any
slight obstruction or isn't really oddly shaped. Sources of optical glass
and plastic are simple to come by: Remove filter glass from the mounting
rings, or use Cokin filters (may want to look into getting these coated, if
possible). Cut to size as needed. You might literally have to glue or
velcro these into place, as most hoods are made of material which is too
thin to allow for any significant machining.

If, however, this lens is covered by the 3-year Passport warranty, what the
heck; if you scratch it, you scratch it! On lenses which cannot accomodate
front-mounted filters, I mostly keep these capped 'till I'm ready to use
them and have thus far done okay.
Specializing in interesting, quality junk.
Sherline items sought