Subject: 5.6/110 LTM Rokkor
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 1996 21:34:38 -0500

I believe this lens is mentioned in Hans P Rajner (writing as 'HPR'), LEICA
COPIES, the best there is on the cameras and the only resource at present on
non-Leitz Japanese lenses;  it is also mentioned in the much less worthy 300
LEICA COPIES, though as a 110mm lens and not as an 11cm.  This lens should
safely accomodate 24mm by 36mm:  it was sold with all of the later Minolta
LTM cameras and is not terribly rare (though not terribly common, either!)

The format is not something Minolta thought up:  Nikon also used this.  The
US, to prevent Japanese 35mm camera imports, made a bizarre regulation which
ran along the lines of 'cameras taking pictures on a 24mm by 36mm format and
made in countries lying between 125 and 145 degrees East Longitude in the
Northern Hemisphere are subject to a ten thousand percent tariff', thus
protecting German, English, French, and Italian imports.  The Japanese
immediately began marketing 24mm by 32mm format cameras, thus evading the
punitive tariff.  (I made up the ten thousand percent;  I believe it was
three times the tariff on European camearas.)  Once it became obvious that
the Japanese were going to monkey with the format to get it regardless of
what we did, and in the face of pronounced pressure from GA MacArthur, our
Man in the East at that time, we relented.  Within a year or two, everyone
was back to the 'normal' 24mm by 36mm format.  This happened around 1948 or
'49.  Your cameras date from '51 and '52, by the way.

The 'Nippon' format actually became quite popular, as a normal 36-exposure
roll yielded forty exposures.  But Kodak also fought its use, oestensibly as
its Kodachrome processing machines could not accomodate it, though it has
been rumoured that the mavens of Big Yaller were concerned over MINIMIZING
and not maximizing the number of exposures per roll.

The case is not a copy of a Canon or Nikon case:  it's a copy of a standard
Prewar Zeiss Ikon lens case, and copied as well both before and after the
War by Voigtlander and Steinheil.  Neat idea to carry a supplementary VF in
the top.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!