Subject: Re: 24mm R lens + polariser?
From: "Joe B." <Joe@dircon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 1996 01:54:06 +0000

In article <32B1986D.6F61@pacbell.net>, Christopher Hoover
<cdhoover@pacbell.net> writes
>I've been using the 24 with its Leica polarizer and hood for the last
>few years. The saturation and color are great, but I'm also unhappy with
>the poor mechanics used to rotate the filter. I snap the filter on in
>different orientations to get closer to the level of polarization I need
>then use the wheel to fine tune. When flare is not such a concern, I
>remove the hood and just hold the filter in front of the lens. I wonder
>if a replacement wheel might help? My hood was used;

So was mine; in fact mine was a bit worn looking when I got it so maybe
the little wheel is worn out. I'll call Leica service and ask them about
this- I get the feeling this may be a common problem.

>How do the other wides (the new 19, 21, 28) make use of polarizers?

Of these, I only have experience of the 19, early version, and there is
no Leica polariser for it. One could experiment, at great expense, with
wide-angle polarisers... Osterloh's book on the R system states that use
of filters with the 19mm Elmarit is "not recommended" (or words to that
effect). It's not really designed to be used with front-mounted filters;
normal screw-in filters, like Hoya, that fit it vignette noticeably, and
the current version uses internal filters. Otherwise, B + W wideangle
(non-polarising) filters work on mine, and so does their wideangle
filter holder.
- --
Joe B.