Subject: was: 35mm Eyes now: AF vs. MF
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@spherenet.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 16:05:46 -0400

At 08:58 AM 12-12-96 -0500, Marc wrote:
>Charlie Love challenges my point on AF accuracy and demands proof.  For
>written documentation, I can only quote factory literature, which is suspect
>on its face.
>
>I do know several pros who shoot sports events (mainly races of one sort or
>the other) with Canon AF gear, and they uniformly acknowledge that shooting
>with a long, fast prime (2.8/300 L or so) will lead to a fair number of lost
>frames...[snip]

I think there are two issues here; how well an AF camera can find the proper
point in the scene to focus on, and when it does, how accurate is the focus
itself.  I don't doubt that many pictures (especially those involving fast
moving sports figures etc)) are lost due to the camera locking in on the
wrong subject.    What I am concerned with is when my AF camera focuses on
an object exactly 10 meters away, will the focus be as accurate as a MF
camera focused manually by eye.  I can't recall being surprised by an
out-of-focus shot that my Minolta 9000 with 50/1.4 lens autofocused.  I DO
recall missing the focus with my Leica 75/1.4 at 1.4 when I am focusing on
someones eyes  (the depth of field being about 1/4 inch at portrait
distances).  Minolta makes a very good 85/1.4 (which I don't own) and I am
sure that it will give me a higher percentage of successfully focused shots
than my leica 75/1.4.  Whether or not the resulting pictures are better or
worse is another question.

By the way, in the old days when pros used MF to photograph fast moving
races, I am sure that much film was wasted due to poor focusing, certainly
much more than today.  Otherwise pros would not be flocking over to cameras
like Canon EOS-1 and the new Nikon F5.

Dan C.