Subject: Hektor 50mm,f2.5 question
From: batista@rci.Rutgers.EDU (David Batista)
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 16:11:06 -0500

        Hello all !   I'm a novice Leica-phile, and I'm a user, not a
collector, so I apologize in advance for my naivete.

        I just purchased a IIIa body, Hektor collapsible 50mm, f2.5
combination sight-unseen through the mail from a non-leica,  non-camera
knowledgeable seller.  Unfortunately for me the Hektor is missing the two
screwed-on focus stops from the lens baseplate, and the infinity lock
flange on the lens baseplate is pretty torn up.  The lens is in good shape
otherwise.  The glass seems clear and there are no cleaning marks or
scratches.  The aperture setting mechanism is stiff and clearly needs CLA.

        Can or should this lens be repaired?

        Would the cost of repair outweigh its value as a lens or
collectible trade-in worth on another lens.

        Are there shops that specialize in Leica screw mount lens repair?

        All opinions & recommendations welcomed.

        THANKS !

        David Batista
        Rutgers University Law Library
        batista@rci.rutgers.edu