Subject: Re: Benser's My Life With The Leica
From: "C.M. Fortunko" <fortunko@boulder.nist.gov>
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 1996 23:03:32 -0700

Bob,

You are probably right. Besides, this is not the great thriller that it
purports to be. In fact, it is very PC. Color Magic (also by Benser, but
written in 1956, or so) was more exciting, mainly because of the hand-drawn
illustrations, not the pictures. I agree that Benser's book is overpriced,
but it is a Hove product.

May be Marc James Small can illuminate us on the connection between Hove and
Leica.

Incidentally, not all books about Leica by Leica have to be expensive and/or
bad. For example, I just picked up a mint+ copy of 75 Jahre Leica for less
than $50. The images are wonderful and you do not even have to stare at an
auto-picture of the Good Soldier Benser.

Chris