Subject: Re: Hasselblad v Leica
From: Kari Eloranta <eloranta@lammio.hut.fi>
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 96 13:35:48 +0200

To me the bottom line of this thread is simply that you cannot push
a format past certain point no matter how fine the glass is.

Encountered a rather gross example of this once in the Leica-Gallery
in lower Manhattan. There was a bw-exhibit by a sizable group of well
known photojournalists (all shoting Leicas, I assume this was the entry
requirement...). The work was all about 40 x 50 cm & around it a matte
with Leica printed on it. Being mostly streetwork it was probably shot
with HP5, TriX and such. So all this was neatly framed and hanged on
the walls. But it is a small place and consequently it was really cramped
- - the pieces were next to each other, with essentially no space between.
So to appreciate any one of them and not being distracted by the others
you had to stand real close, like a meter or so. The work looked
uniformly bad, the grain dominated and it was just so obvious that the
pictures were too big.

Regards,

Kari

PS: sorry if this a a second copy. Realized that the previous went to
the owner-l.-u.... & don't know what that actually means =:-0 ...