Subject: Re: Travel/bag suggestions (security issue)
From: Oddmund Garvik <garvik@i-t.fr>
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 96 14:24:26 -0800

I think the main principle when you are traveling around in the third world
is to keep a "low" profile. You will never get rid of your background of
course, but being discrete is a sign of respect. So you will need to dress
up "discretely", move around with your cameras without being offensive.
Traveling alone is no drawback, I think, unless perhaps in certain sensible
areas, war zones and so on.

I never traveled with an SLR, I find them too heavy, and too offensive. I
have been traveling in Africa several times, with a Leica M and a couple of
Rolleiflex TLRs. No photo bag, no photo vest. Just a simple military
rucksack, and often in local cloths. They are most adapted for the climate
and rough traveling. You come nearer to people also that way. You are still
a "western", but at least one who respect local custom. In all your behavior
you should keep to this.

It is no warranty against loss of equipment of course. We must not have any
illusions, because as I already mentioned in an earlier message, our Leicas
are "worth" more money than these people would ever earn their whole life. A
farmer in India, for instance, would at least have to work for ten years to
earn what we paid for an M6.

I don't know your "style", or why you want to go to India. Or what kind of
pictures you would like to make. It is very important to prepare the trip,
to read about the place you are going, find out about local custom, and have
a clear idea about what you want to do, the purpose with your trip. If you
have a good idea, and keep to it, and if you are lucky, you will probably be
able to bring back good pictures with some sort of a sense.

I wish you good luck

Oddmund
__e_n_g_a_g_e_d_p_h_o_t_o_g_r_a_p_h_y_w_i_l_l_c_h_a_n_g_e_t_h_e_m_i_n_d_s__

Oddmund Garvik
Paris, France
garvik@i-t.fr