Subject: Re: Xtol Developer
From: "Roger Suppona" <suppona@m2.sprynet.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 1996 22:44:49 +0000

I gave it a try (just one roll of Tri-X so far) and am very pleased
with the results.  After reading the reviews in Darkroom User and
Photo Techniques, I opted for a 1:1 dilution and 8 minutes @ 70f at
an E.I. of 400.  Both reviews and the Kodak spec sheet for Xtol
indicate an increase in film speed of 1/3 to 1/2 stop.  I normally
expose TX at E.I. 250 so shooting at its ISO seemed prudent.

The highlights were a tad hotter than I prefer but still printable,
the shadows and midtones came out looking quite nice.  I was very
pleased with scenes where there was considerable sky showing, a nice
middle grey.  I'll probably back my development time down to 7 1/2
minutes for the next roll to see how the highlights react.

Grain is very fine.  I only made 8x10s but I think the grain will
survive 11x14 just fine.

I've got to live with it a bit more but I suspect this will replace
D-76 for me.  It's inexpensive, easy to mix, produces good looking
negatives and is supposed to keep much longer than D-76.

I've got to try it with APX100 before deciding if Rodinal has met its
match.

Roger Suppona
suppona@sprynet.com