Subject: Re: Cheap Leica-thread-mount body
From: Stephen Gandy <cameras@jetlink.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 13:59:49 -0800

> On Tue, 26 Nov 1996, Patrick Sobalvarro wrote:
>
> > Oh well, back to Leicas.  Isn't anyone going to answer my earlier
> > query by suggesting a cheap Leica-thread-mount body for those
> > theft-ridden environments?  It's fine by me if it's from one of the
> > Soviet successor states, so long as it's reliable.

I have had absolutely terrible experiences with Russian Camera body
reliability. I would never again consider buying one.

If you want a Leica, probably the best choice from a low cost standpoint
would be a user IIIF.  They are  common and  low cost, with a die cast
body and a flash sync.   I have an engraved one, otherwise E+, for $300.

If you can find a Canon 7, they undoubtedly have the best combination of
low cost and GREAT FINDER for screw mount.  Plentiful, user bodies often
sell for $250 with titanium shutters and a finder which offers
brightlines for 35,50,85,105,135.  Its only disadvantage is that is
comparatively large.

Leica screw mount lenses tend to be costly and collectible with the
exception of my soft focus favorite the 50/2 Summar, and the hundreds of
135's that nobody seems to want.
For instance the sharp 50/1.4 Canon often sells for $250, or 1/4 of the
Summilux price.

You best buy in Leica screw mount is Canon as far as I am concerned.
Sharp lenses, often much lower priced than Leica.   Russian lenses can
be very sharp, but they can also be so badly made that they won't even
screw onto the camera body!  Check them VERY carefully before buying.

Stephen Gandy