Subject: Re: Oddmund is doing odd things
From: jredfern@ftn.net (J. Redfern)
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 1996 19:25:14 -0500

> Have a look, for instance, at one of Glenn Wm. Thrall's
>"contribution" to the net at "http://www.buchanan.org/misery.html". You
>will find such reactionaries in every country. In France you find them
>in and around the "Front National".

        Okay, I'll admit that Oddmund has pushed the limits of the list to
the point of boorishness but I do have to thank him for the pointer to
Glenn's web site. I haven't had such a belly laugh in ages. "Pat Buchannon
(sp) is our Braveheart"???
        Puh-leeeze!!
That one took me a good ten minutes to clear the tears of laughter from my eyes.
        As an aside, I'm a tad perplexed as to the need for a second Leica
list. Surely if you don't care for a particular thread or contributor, the
delete key is swift and painless option.
        There does appear to be a slightly elitist and clubby segment to
this list as well as a few who persist in treating the list as an IRC chat
channel. Coming to think of it it really isn't that hard to get a chat
channel up and running on the undernet. I am involved in getting one up for
circumpolar issues as a forum for the arctic communities that are gradually
getting "wired". The user base is certainly here so, should anyone want a
few pointers on how to make it happen, please don't hesitate to e-mail me
and I'll pass on the info' required.
(Another advantage is that ops are able at all times to simply boot out any
offending users.)
        A while back someone who "covers" the Whithouse was mentioning the
fact that next to no Leica is used by the press corps on that beat. Whilst
thumbing through my copy of Michael Evans' book "People and Power" (a
collection of portraits of the Movers and shakers of the Reagan
administration) I noticed that what seems to be the majority of the
photographers photographed for the project elected to be shot sporting
their Leica Ms.
        Is this a case of Leica as Jewelery or is the M series camera being
used as a visual throwback to the days when photojournalism meant a little
more than a steady succession of prearranged photo-ops and the the Leica
being more than any other brand the supposed choice of any "serious" photo
journalist.