Subject: Re: Leica Lens vs Nikon Lens
From: "Joe B." <Joe@azurite.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 1996 04:41:15 +0000

In article <9610228486.AA848694879@luxmail.luxcom.com>,
seungmin@luxmail.luxcom.com writes
>Their test results of Leica lenses compared with those of Nikon or
>     Contax lenses, were not so impressive, specially when I think about
>     the price.  For some reason, they have been favorable to Nikon a lot.
>     This sometimes made me stop and think if Leica lenses were really
>     worth the money compared with Nikon or Contax lenses.  What is your
>     opinion?

To put it in a nutshell, I wouldn't use Pop Phot tests to determine
whether I wanted to use Leica lenses or not, I'd use my eyes. The way to
decide (well it worked for me) is to somehow get your hands on a Leica
camera with a Leica lens on it and some film inside it, and take some
pictures (slides are good for this because you get the Leica effect in
full colour) and the reflect on the results. They may tell you a very
different story from magazine lens tests. Especially tests in magazines
who get a lot of advertising revenue from some manufacturers but not so
much from others. Leica dealers often have a hire scheme for people who
want to see for themselves. Trust your eyes.
- --
Joe B.