Subject: Re: FP vs Leaf Shutters, Minoxi
From: dlevy@worldy.com
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 14:03:15 -0500

At 01:17 AM 11/19/96 -0800, you wrote:

>> Minox 35s
>
>I see references to the Minox 35 cameras written as though they
>were only available used. I just received the latest sales literature
>and spec sheets from Leica USA on the Minox line ... they're alive and
>well, an interesting new model or two available. The newish ones
>made since 1989 seem to be much more robust in the shutter and
>exposure system, and the lenses are being assembled to a higher
>quality standard it seems.

Hopefully, not from me. I know they are alive and well(?) and for the
immediate future probably there is more of a chance of their continued
existence. What is unknown is what Leica will do with the 35 series. Given
their less than spectacular success with the other than SM, M and SLR (I'm
trying to be politically correct), there is a concern that they may not
quite have a handle on the market segment and damage or even destroy a
wonderful design in learning. Minox, whether the 9.5mm or the 35mm cameras,
has always been somewhat different that the norm, akin to companies like
Tessina and Robot. Small markets, special designs, and a loyal following,
but not mass market. If the owners attempt to move into the mass market, the
designs will need to radically change and the unigue qualities will be lost.
I am not being critical of Leica. Leica is experiencing this problem itself.
Look at the thread re: the M6.2/M7. By intergrating all that has been
requested, they would be giving you the more mass market designed Contax G
than a Leica M series.

>I handled a CL at the recent San Jose swap meet. It's a sweet
>camera... as I say, I might just have to try one out some day. But
>every dealer tells me of problems with the meter and film transport,
>eventually. I'm happy to learn that some folks seem to have found
>the way to keep it from damage.

Just don't use it as a hammer, and I think it will give you years of
faithful service, mine has.

Brian Levy, J.D.
Agincourt Ont.
dlevy@worldy.com