Subject: Re: FP vs Leaf Shutters, Minoxi
From: Godfrey DiGiorgi <ramarren@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 96 01:17:46 -0800

>I think the advantage of a focal plane shutter is its ability to evenly
>expose the film. A leaf shutter opens from the center and then closes down
>after it has completed the edges of the frame. The result is slightly more
>exposure at the center of the frame than at the outer zones of its concentric
>operation. If you do your own darkroom work you'll eventually notice the
>effect.

This is a negligible effect on lenses which have a relatively
small aperture, it's one of the things that limits leaf shutters'
applicability to long, fast lenses. Certainly on a 28-40mm f/3.5-2.8
lens, if you can see such a difference, you've got a more sensitive
eye that I do! :)

> Minox 35s

I see references to the Minox 35 cameras written as though they
were only available used. I just received the latest sales literature
and spec sheets from Leica USA on the Minox line ... they're alive and
well, an interesting new model or two available. The newish ones
made since 1989 seem to be much more robust in the shutter and
exposure system, and the lenses are being assembled to a higher
quality standard it seems.

>Of course the CL is valid Leica. I find it is delicate in some ways and
>therefore I take extra time to keep it out of harm's way. It's remarkably
>compact and passes for a P&S, which I find a great advantage in doing NYC
>fieldwork, along with the Minox and XA.

I handled a CL at the recent San Jose swap meet. It's a sweet
camera... as I say, I might just have to try one out some day. But
every dealer tells me of problems with the meter and film transport,
eventually. I'm happy to learn that some folks seem to have found
the way to keep it from damage.

Godfrey