Subject: Re: Light, portable camera
From: Godfrey DiGiorgi <ramarren@apple.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 96 22:00:48 -0800

>Nobody likes the Minilux ? I was about to go down to Tamarkin and pick one
>up this week for a trip (where I don't want to take my M).

Comparing the Leica Minilux, the Nikon 35Ti and the Contax T2, I found
that the Minilux and the Nikon were very closely matched. I chose
the Nikon when I bought it because of the better information displays,
more features, and the integrated time/date stamp business. The Contax
was a better camera if you wanted to actually control your images more,
which I didn't realize I did at the time. The Leica is a little larger
than the Nikon and came out a year later so it wasn't an option when I
bought the Nikon, but it would have been a close thing between the
two. It's easier to use the scale focus and the exposure overrides are
a little less fiddly to muck with.

It has an excellent lens and such, I just don't think it's really
the right camera for me. I'd buy a Minizoom if I just wanted a camera
instead of the M to carry and I wanted a Leica lens, however. The
Minizoom lens is a bit slow, but you get the advantage of the short
range zoom and even lighter weight, simpler operation. The pictures
it takes are beyond reproach.

Godfrey