Subject: Re: Bruckner Edition M6
From: jredfern@ftn.net (J. Redfern)
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 11:19:42 -0500

As far as collector's editions of the M cameras go, I am left unfazed. As
the poster says if they can wrap an off the shelf camera in fancy leather
and sell it for a premium then, indeed, all power to them.
        Where I disagree wholeheartedly, is with the cries for a new and
improved Leica M. I couldn't care less if others see my Leicas as
anachronisms or out of date. My Leicas vary in age between 10 and 40 years
and do what I need them to do.
        I do not, in any way, see the Contax G1/G2  type cameras as a
threat to the M series and am always left a tad flummoxed when people start
rattling off wish lists of improvements to be implemented on the "next"
version of the M body. If only a fraction of these improvements were added,
we'd have a battery dependant shoebox with features that would leave a
Nikon F5 electro-brick thirsty; at which point, IMHO, we would have run out
of reasons for buying a Leica in the first place. Let's not forget that
Leica M cameras sell very well at their ludicrous prices, so they must be
doing something right.
        I use them because they are built like panzer tanks with some very
fine optics and I know that they will work in any conditions that I accept
to expose myself to. The same cannot be said for the "cutting edge" wonder
bricks.
        The only "improvement that I would care to see implemented would be
an increase in the flash sync speed. Other than that, leave it alone.
J.Redfern