Subject: Film Alignment in M-cameras
From: Wolfgang Sachse <sachse@msc.cornell.edu>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 09:19:51 -0500 (EST)

From the leica-digest ...

> From: Jack Campin <jack@purr.demon.co.uk>
> Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 15:00:48 +0000
> Subject: IIIa Frame Alignment on Film
>
> wilcox@umcc.umich.edu (Ken Wilcox)
> >> On the bottom of the developed film, the exposed area extends down to the
> >> tops of the sprocket-holes in the film.
> > In addition to what Roy said, be sure that the film leader is push flush to
> > the edge flange at the top of the takup spool and that the film is aligned
> > parallel to the flange.
>
> Are you sure this is really fixable?  I've had the same problem with every
> single image I've shot on mine.  I can't believe I've misloaded every roll
> of film I've run through it; I just assumed the camera was made that way.

	... to which Roy Zartarian responded ...

> vol 29 no. 2 (second quarter 1996) of the LHSA "Viewfinder" ...
> ... The issue carried a short article on this matter of non-centered
> negatives in the screwmount bodies. Cited ... variations in film
> cassette size as the cause of the problem. Leitz New York at the
> time offered a modification to the baseplate to remedy the
> situation.
<snip> ...

>  ... test with some scrap film, a IIIa (lens removed), the Leitz
> FILCA cassette, and a current Kodak reloadable cassette. A visual
> comparison shows the Leitz cassette to be a tad longer than the Kodak.
> Film from the Kodak cassette was checked visually for correct
> alignment after loading. After about five frames were advanced,
> the perforations were beginning to appear at the top of the film gate.

	Hi LUG's

	Amazing! Just last Thursday, I noticed this same thing on
	a roll of Tri-X shot through my M6. Only some of the frames
	where affected. And I was going to post to this Group to
	ask about it yesterday, but thought that I should first
	check past rolls and then I read that others have observed
	this also. I often shoot HP5+ or Kodak Gold 200. I never
	noticed anything. So I very briefly checked some five or six
	rolls of HP5+ and they had all the images nicely centered
	but on five rolls of the Kodak, I noticed the the image
	did get real close or even went into the sprocket holes
	on one of the Kodak color films.

	Is this alignement problem easily fixable? Or do M-cameras
	possess the same design flaw that Roy Zartarian cites for
	his IIIa? (Please tell me it isn't so). (I call it a design
	flaw since I have never noticed the same misalignment in
	any of my Nikon SLR's.)

	Sad, but interesting.

	Best wishes,

	-- Wolfgang
|                    Wolfgang Sachse   Phone: +1/607/255-5065  Secy: -5062 |
|   T&AM/Thurston Hall; Cornell Univ   E-mail: sachse@msc.cornell.edu      |
|        Ithaca, NY - 14853-1503 USA   FAX:   +1/607/255-9179              |
|                      WWW Home Page   http://www.msc.cornell.edu/~sachse  |
|__________ Cornell Women's Fencing == Chess at the Speed of Light ________|